19 December 2013

What will they think?

Have you ever heard a little voice inside your head say “Who do you think you are?” or better yet “What makes you think anyone would want to listen to what you had to say?” Well I have to say that more than once in my life I have held myself back because I wondered what they would all think.

I have no idea who the “they” are that I might be worried about. There is no group in particular but there is that resistance. I have learned to push through it and take responsibility for what happens. Lately I’ve been listening to people like Seth Godin speaking about waiting for someone’s permission. There really is no need to – we’re at a time where there is room enough for all of us to be creative.

This is what I’ve decided – I’m going to do whatever it is that I plan on doing and I’m going to do the best I can. If my best is not good enough or if I fall flat on my face, I will learn from that. In spite of that I’ll probably try again. I’m no stranger to failure – the only people who are strangers to failure are the people who did not take risk at all.

Who do I think I am? Well, I’m someone who loves to learn and try new things. I like to give the world a piece of my mind lately and I love to have fun. That’s it and in spite of not being anyone famous or special, I’m going to take risk. I’m going to speak at the conference and I’m going to try new things. What about you? Ready to get out there and maybe fall flat on your face. Who cares what they might think?